Beans, Beans, they're good for your heart...
So why Chickpeas? Because they are a nutrient-rich, plant based powerhouse! In 1 cup of chickpeas, you will find:
~10-15 grams of Protein
- Chickpeas are rich in the essential amino acids lysine and arginine. Essential nutrients are necessary for human health, but the body cannot make them, so they must be consumed from your diet.
~40-50% Daily Value of Fiber
- Chickpeas are an excellent source of fiber. They help you to feel full which can, in turn, lead you to eat less and lose weight!
~70% Daily Value of Folate
- Folate, or vitamin B9, is important for healthy cell growth and function. It also helps form red blood cells and can be used to treat anemia.
~30% Daily Value of Phosphorus
- Phosphorus is a mineral that works together with calcium to help build strong bones and teeth.
~25% Daily Value of Iron
- For vegetarians and vegans, any plant source with this much iron is a huge win!
…so what we're saying is our Cookie Dough and Bites are actually good for you.
And while we have you, we want to give our other whole-food ingredients some love!
Coconut sugar is a natural sugar made from coconut palm sap. It is dried and packaged without any processing, so it retains nutrients like iron, zinc, magnesium, and a prebiotic fiber called inulin. Coconut sugar is better for blood sugar balance because it has a lower glycemic index (GI) than cane sugar or even maple sugar due to those trace nutrients and fiber.
Coconut flour is made from coconut flesh that has been dried and ground. When it comes to flours, coconut is hard to beat! Compared to other flours, coconut flour is minimally processed, gluten-free, fairly high in protein, fiber, and fat, and relatively low in carbohydrates.
Real Vanilla Extract
Compared to vanilla flavoring, vanilla extract only uses two ingredients: real vanilla beans and alcohol. Vanilla flavoring, on the other hand, uses artificial ingredients and additives like synthetic vanillin and corn syrup.
Article by Lillie Berman, MS, RDN